Sunday, March 24, 2013

Hot Summer Rose

I love the name of this fabric "Hot summer Roses". I picked it up from Tessuti last year. I think they have sold out now. It is a cotton/spandex mix which is machine washable... bonus! I have a tendency to buy fabrics that need dry cleaning and tend not to wear them as I can't be bothered with the cleaning process.
I had pinned a photo to my pinterest board last year thinking I would make the strapless top and skinny pants to match. I decided on a mini skirt instead as I didn't have quite enough fabric.  I used Burda pattern 01/2012 leather bustier #124 for the bodice and drafted my own peplum. For the skirt I used Burda Magazine 7/2012 120 skirt which I also made up in the RTW designer knock off competition. I really love this skirt pattern. It has a really high waist and curved darts which start at the side seam right at waist level. It's a really good fit.
I boned and lined the bodice which I've never done before. I use a herringbone stitch to sew the boning tape in place and hand stitched the lining to the bodice. I also attached a grosgrain ribbon to the upper bodice to help with the fit. I picked up this technique from Gertie's sew retro bombshell dress lesson which was a really handy tip. I haven't sewn the bombshell dress yet but I have used a few techniques from this lesson and have found it really easy to follow.  Gertie's not your stereotypical sewing teacher which I love.
I have a very small bust so I had to take it in quite a bit. I adjusted it at the seam lines by shaving off about 1 cm. I also shortened the bodice.
I had a question on my last dress on how I get the bodice to fit so well on my small frame. Basically, I fit and fit and fit. I will fit to the dress form and pin where I see any bagginess at all. I then sew and re fit. If it needs adjusting still, I will undo and redo. I am not happy until the fit is good.
I could not live without my dress form. If you don't have one, get one. I picked mine up form EBay for fifty bucks and its been worth every cent. Also boning does wonders for your bust! The bodice stays up really well. 
I lined the skirt as I didn't think the fabric was firm enough. The spandex in it is probably not the best choice for a bustier but it turned out OK. The fit feels great although I think the boning is pushing into the waistline a bit too much. I may have to unpick and shave off a few mm's . I'll wear it tonight to my friends house for dinner and see how comfy it is.
I have loved sewing this outfit. It came together really well and I love the mix of machine and couture techniques.
I highly recommend both of the patterns.
Construction of Bodice
Burda Magazine 7/2012 120 skirt 

01/2012 leather bustier #124

8 comments:

  1. I love this outfit and I think you have chosen the design of the outfit perfectly for the fabric. I wish I lived near a Tessuti shop as I am hesitant to buy their fabric online. i have done it a few times but there is nothing like touching and scrunching the fabric in your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Marjorie! There is nothing like feeling the fabric before you buy.

      Delete
  2. Love, love LOVE this outfit! It is so hot! You did a really great job. Beautiful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. The fabric is really beautiful to wear also.

      Delete
  3. Oh, this is too adorable! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting on my blog, you now have a brand new reader! I have been looking at the amazing things you've made and this dress is so pretty and elegant I wish it was summer here as well. Love from Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous! beautiful colors on you and i love the shape!

    ReplyDelete